The Fitzgerald Institute for Real Estate has enrolled its first students in the new undergraduate minor in real estate at the University of Notre Dame. The initial cohort includes 100 rising sophomores and juniors with courses beginning in the fall 2019 semester.
“The Fitzgerald Institute aims to be a preeminent center for the study of real estate by leveraging Notre Dame’s strengths in business, economics, engineering, architecture, law, and the liberal arts,” said Dan Kelly, faculty director of the Fitzgerald Institute for Real Estate and professor of law. “The Institute, in partnership with the Department of Finance, has launched this minor to enable our undergraduates to learn about the fundamental aspects of the real estate industry through an interdisciplinary curriculum.”
Approximately two-thirds of the undergraduate students enrolled in the minor are from the Mendoza College of Business and the remaining third are from the College of Arts and Letters, College of Engineering, College of Science, and the School of Architecture. Currently, sophomores make up 44% of the undergraduates enrolled and the other 56% are juniors.
“The minor is an educational opportunity for students to learn about real estate, but it also helps prepare them for internships, career opportunities, and leadership roles within the industry,” said Eugenio Acosta, director of undergraduate studies for real estate and program director of the Fitzgerald Institute. “The minor requires 15 credits and includes education in core competencies as well as colloquia courses designed to bring industry practitioners to the classroom.”
The minor exposes students to a wide range of career paths and networking opportunities. Students also can learn about real estate careers by joining the Institute’s real estate club. The club is focused on furthering internship and job opportunities by connecting students to employers, alumni, and applied learning opportunities.
The Fitzgerald Institute for Real Estate is dedicated to educating and inspiring the next generation of real estate professionals. Building upon Notre Dame’s world-class faculty, global alumni network, and distinctive Catholic mission, the Institute seeks to be a preeminent center for the study of real estate through its research, teaching, and industry engagement while also providing a distinctive voice in promoting human flourishing and the common good.
To learn more about the Institute, including the minor in real estate, please visit: https://realestate.nd.edu
Eugenio Acosta / Program Director
Fitzgerald Institute for Real Estate / University of Notre Dame
firstname.lastname@example.org / 574.367. 6242
About Notre Dame Research:
The University of Notre Dame is a private research and teaching university inspired by its Catholic mission. Located in South Bend, Indiana, its researchers are advancing human understanding through research, scholarship, education, and creative endeavor in order to be a repository for knowledge and a powerful means for doing good in the world. For more information, please see research.nd.edu or @UNDResearch.
Originally published by realestate.nd.edu on June 18, 2019.at