PI Portal FAQs
The PI Portal provides the information needed to help manage sponsored program in an easy to use format. These frequently asked questions (FAQs) have been created to help Notre Dame researchers use the Portal:
- I am having trouble accessing the PI Portal, whom do I contact?
- How is access to the PI Portal managed?
- How do I delegate access?
- Can I delegate just proposals rather than awards, or can I just delegate one fund to someone?
- How up to date is the information in the PI Portal?
- What data are in the PI Portal?
- What encumbrances are included in the PI Portal?
- What is included in the personnel/payroll information?
- Will other data be included in the PI Portal in the future?
- How does the PI Portal differ from GLez or Cayuse?
- Something in the PI Portal does not look as I expect it to, whom do I contact?
- Will the PI Portal replace the monthly reports I receive via e-mail?
- Will the Grants Program Managers in NDR still provide account projections if I want one?
The Research Business Intelligence team in Notre Dame Research can assist you. Please contact us via NDR_support@nd.edu or 574-631-7378.
Anyone with a Notre Dame NetID may have access. Those named on proposals and/or awards/projects in the Cayuse system, will have automatic access in the PI Portal in the "Proposals" and "Projects and Awards" sections. Access to financial and payroll data is based on being the role of Fund Manager in Banner. PIs may further delegate access of what they can see to others within the tool.
After logging into the PI Portal, proceed to the Delegations section. Add the NetID (e.g. thall2) of the person to which you wish to delegate something. Select the records or funds you wish to delegate and then select that person from the dropdown. The page refreshes, and you can confirm the person now has access at the bottom of the Delegations screen. Should the person change jobs, or you change your mind about their access, you can remove access in the Delegations section as well.
NOTE: The delegation access is provided to information as of that day. As new proposals are submitted, awards received and funds created, PI’s will need to delegate those when they appear in the portal. In other words, if you work with the same assistant and want to provide access to all of your information, you can do that. But when new information is added for you in the portal, it will not automatically be delegated just because you gave access to “all” previously to your assistant. You will need to delegate the new information as it is added to the portal.
Yes, you can do all that and more in the Delegations section of the PI Portal. You decide which proposals, projects, and funds to delegate or you can delegate all of them if you wish. The Current and Pending section is not available for delegation at present.
NOTE: The delegation access is provided to records as of the present time. As new proposals are submitted, awards received and funds created, PI’s will need to delegate those when they appear in the portal. In other words, if you work with the same assistant and want to provide access to all of your information, you can do that. But when new information is added for you in the portal, it will not automatically be delegated because you gave access to “all” previously to your assistant. You will need to delegate the new information as it is added to the portal.
DATA AVAILABLE IN THE PI PORTAL
The data is updated nightly and displays information from the last full business day. In other words, today’s activity will appear in the portal tomorrow. The new data is expected to appear by 8:15 a.m. Friday’s data appears Saturday morning.
The PI Portal contains information about:
*Anticipated awards reflect those awards for which ND has received information regarding the anticipated future increment in the sponsor’s awarding document.
The portal is intended to work in complement with GLez and Cayuse. Information about what can be found in each system can be found here.
We have included non-labor (i.e. equipment, supplies), subcontract, and F&A encumbrances in the PI Portal. Personnel/labor encumbrances are not included as they are based on the Notre Dame fiscal year, which most often does not align with the project year. Subcontract encumbrances reflect the amount of subcontracts which have been obligated to the subrecipient by ND. F&A encumbrances reflect all remaining F&A for the duration of the funds appearing in the budget.
The Personnel section of the PI Portal has three tabs:
- The Funds tab lists funds by year and the people paid on them each month plus a year-to-date total. Amounts include Salaries + Benefits in month paid. It is organized by most recent fiscal year first then by active funds the user has access to within that year in ascending order.
- The People tab lists those paid by year and the funds used to pay them each month plus a year-to-date total. Amounts include Salaries + Benefits in month paid. It is organized by most recent fiscal year first then all personnel paid on funds the user has access to listed alphabetically by last name.
- The Payroll Report tab lists funds by year, the people paid by those funds by month they were paid and breaks out Salary and Fringe Benefits separately. It is organized by funds the user has access to first, in ascending order.
Our goal is to provide additional data in the future and we welcome your thoughts on what will be most helpful. Please use the Feedback Form in the portal, or email NDR_support@nd.edu with your ideas.
OTHER CAMPUS TOOLS
There are differences, and similarities. We’ve put together a matrix identifying different tasks and where you can find the information you seek.
If your question is about the data you’re seeing, please contact your Grants Program Manager (GPM). The list of our GPM team is in the Help section of the portal. If your question is about how the PI Portal works, the Research Business Intelligence team in Notre Dame Research can assist you. Please contact us via NDR_support@nd.edu or 574-631-7378.
Our aim is to provide the information you need to manage your research portfolio effectively and to reduce your administrative burden. The PI Portal is available any time with up-to-date information and we expect there to be little, if any, need for the previously distributed monthly reports.
Yes. The Grants Program Managers in NDR will continue the high level of service you’ve come to expect, including account projections.