Equipment Restoration & Renewal Program
The Equipment Restoration and Renewal (ERR) program assists in the restoration, replacement, and renewal of the facilities needed for faculty research, scholarship, and creative endeavor. Grants will typically be in the range of $25,000 to $200,000. Augmentation of the grants by the Colleges, Departments, and researchers is allowed.
Proposals that complement current or recent efforts to secure equipment funding from external sources, such as the NSF Major Research Instrumentation or NIH Shared Instrumentation grants programs, are encouraged.
The following categories are eligible to apply for this program:
- Full-time University of Notre Dame faculty members (including teaching and research faculty, research faculty, library faculty, and special professional faculty) who have not received an award as the lead principal investigator of a funded project under this program in the last five years may submit a proposal.
- Directors of Centers and Institutes not reporting through a College or School may submit one proposal with the Director as lead principal investigator.
Note: Principal investigators should be associated with a single submission as lead or key personnel.
The following are allowable budget requests:
- Costs to restore or replace research equipment, including the purchase of new or additional equipment that restores, replaces, or enhances an existing facility, are eligible.
The following are unallowable budget requests:
- General purpose computer equipment or software.
- Items intended solely for undergraduate instruction.
- Library acquisitions.
- Non-equipment items, although cost share support for associated expenses is allowable.
- Office equipment.
- Restoration of equipment not owned by the University.
- Renovation of facilities.
The application period is now closed. The proposal process usually opens in the winter. Please check back again next year for more details.
Funds will be available in the spring following the application period and must be expended by end of that calendar year. Funds not expended by that date will be withdrawn unless an extension is requested and granted.
PROPOSAL FORMAT AND SUBMISSION
Interested applicants should write the proposal in clear, non-technical language for a general audience. The review panel is likely to contain a broad representation from across the University.
Each proposal must include the following items in the order listed:
Cover page with following information: Name of Lead Principal Investigator and Co-Principal Investigators, Department/Center/Institute affiliation, Phone, Email, Proposal Title, and designation as an ERR.
Description of the proposed project (four pages maximum).
Section I: Intellectual Merit
- A statement of research potential, intended use of the equipment, and how the new equipment relates to current equipment in use at the University.
- A description of the equipment.
Section II: Broader Impacts
A discussion of the shared nature of the equipment and the facility in which it is located, the involvement of graduate and undergraduate students, as well as any external partners in the research.
A management plan for oversight and sustainability of the equipment.
Section III: Budget Details
Budget: Include vendor information and estimated equipment costs. Funds for installation and extended warranties are allowed but facility renovation costs cannot be included.
What was the original source of the funding for the equipment being replaced/restored?
What efforts have been made to secure outside funds for restoration/renewal? Please submit reviewer comments on external proposals, if any.
3. Current curriculum vitae (two pages maximum) for each faculty member listed on the cover sheet as an investigator.
The submission should be submitted in a single PDF document with naming convention of “<PI NAME>_ERR Proposal_<YEAR>.pdf” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals that do not comply with format and content guidelines may be rejected without review.
All internal grant awardees are required to complete a short final report. To download the report template as a Word document, please click here.
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
For information on the ERR program, or the Internal Grants in general, please contact email@example.com.