Phased Reopening of Research
On March 27, 2020, the University of Notre Dame suspended laboratory research operations and limited campus access only to essential personnel necessary to safely maintain labs in a state of hibernation. A small handful of laboratories were approved to stay partially open for COVID-19 and national security research projects with rigorous physical distancing and safety protocols.
Based on this experience and a review of reopening plans from academic institutions and companies from around the country, the Subtask Force on Research Laboratory Operations is implementing a phased reopening of research laboratories, studios, core facilities, and associated office spaces on campus. The University is currently in Lab/Studio Reopening Phase 3.
The Lab/Studio Reopening Playbook is intended to be a single reference for lab and studio reopening principles, details, and links to supporting materials. It is intended to be a living source of information and will be revised and updated frequently.
The Playbook is comprised of:
Playbook Forms & Resources
Phase 3 Forms:
- Notification of No Changes to Lab/Studio Phase 2 Research Reopening Plan
- Request to Move to Lab/Studio Reopening Phase 3
- Request to Reopen a Lab, Studio, or Core Facility at Phase 3 (first-time submission of a plan)
- Request to Conduct Travel-Based Research, Scholarship, or Creative Endeavor Form
- Request for Academic Visitors to Come to Campus
- Approved Labs, Core Facilities, & Studios for Reopening
- External Use of Core Facilities During Fall 2020
- Guidelines for Reopening Phases 1-3
- Guidance on Face-to-Face Human Subjects Research
- Guidance on Travel-Based Research
- Inclusion of Undergraduate Research Assistants in Lab/Studio Research
- Report a Reopening of Research Concern
- Resumption of Research Checklist
A record of recent updates is included below so readers can navigate quickly to guidance and/or a form:
- New form to Request for Academic Visitors to Come to Campus | Posted on July 24, 2020
- Guidance on External Use of Core Facilities During Fall 2020 | Posted on July 15, 2020
- Update on Labs/Studios Transition to Phase 3 starting July 13 | Posted on July 7, 2020
- Guidance on Face-to-Face Human Subjects Research | Posted on June 26, 2020
- Guidance on Travel-Based Research | Posted on June 26, 2020
- Guidance on Inclusion of Undergraduate Research Assistants in Laboratory & Studio-Based Research | Posted on June 25, 2020
Additionally, announcements of updates will be emailed to a lab reopening Google Group mailing list. To opt-in to this mailing list, please subscribe here. Your ND email address must be used in order to opt-in.
Need more information?
For additional guidance, please communicate with your Department Chair and if needed, relevant member of the Subtask Force on Research Laboratory Operations. Members include Jim Brockmole, Steve Corcelli, Melanie DeFord, and Mark McCready.