Phased Reopening of Research
On March 27, 2020, the University of Notre Dame suspended laboratory research operations and limited campus access only to essential personnel necessary to safely maintain labs in a state of hibernation. Since this time, a small handful of laboratories have been approved to stay partially open for COVID-19 and national security research projects with rigorous physical distancing and safety protocols.
Based on this experience and a review of reopening plans from academic institutions and companies from around the country, the Subtask Force on Research Laboratory Operations has developed a plan for the phased reopening of research laboratories and studios on campus.
The plan focuses on laboratories, studios, core facilities, and associated office spaces on campus. It is recognized that further deliberations and plans are necessary for field-based research and research involving face-to-face interactions with human subjects. The processes for reopening campus libraries, archives, museums, and performance spaces are beyond the scope of the present plan.
The Research Laboratories, Creative Arts Studios, and Core Facilities Playbook is intended to be a single reference for lab and studio reopening principles, details, and links to supporting materials. It is intended to be a living source of information and will be revised and updated frequently. The process for reopening is informed by the Guidelines for Reopening Phases 1-3.
The Playbook is comprised of:
Playbook Forms & Resources
- Guidelines for Reopening Phases 1-3
- Report a Reopening of Research Concern
- Requesting the Reopening of a Laboratory/Studio/Core Facility During Phase 2
- Authorization to Utilize Core Facilities During Campus Reopening Phases
- Lab Ramp-Up Schedule
- Reopening Phases
- Reopening Sequence
- Approved Labs, Core Facilities, & Studios for Reopening
- Example Hygiene Plan
- Certification of Wellness Template
- COVID-19 Self Isolation Graphic
- Resumption of Research Checklist
- Building Manager Checklist
A record of recent updates is included below so readers can navigate quickly to guidance and/or a form:
- Guidance on Face-to-Face Human Subjects Research | Update on June 26, 2020
- Guidance on Travel-Based Research | Update on June 26, 2020
- Guidance on Inclusion of Undergraduate Research Assistants in Laboratory & Studio-Based Research | Update on June 25, 2020
- Clarity on Food and Student Parking Options during Research Reopening | Posted on June 19, 2020
- Added list of Approved Labs, Core Facilities, & Studios for Reopening | Posted on June 8, 2020
- Revised the Health Certification process to an online format | Posted on June 1, 2020
Additionally, announcements of updates will be emailed to a lab reopening Google Group mailing list. To opt-in to this mailing list, please subscribe here. Your ND email address must be used in order to opt-in.
Need more information?
For additional guidance, please communicate with your Department Chair and if needed, relevant member of the Subtask Force on Research Laboratory Operations. Members include Jim Brockmole, Steve Corcelli, Melanie DeFord, and Mark McCready.