Summer study abroad programs provide unique opportunities to participate in immersive experiences within communities all over the world, guided by faculty from Notre Dame who specialize in these regions. Notre Dame International is excited to announce that next summer, five new summer study abroad programs will be inaugurated. Dates for all summer programs vary by location and provide additional opportunities to study abroad, even for students who cannot do so during the academic year. The new programs include:
- Vienna Summer: Explore the “City of Music” through an Economics Course focused on the ways in which the economy is impacted by music, art, and culture. This three credit course will be taught by Prof. Davin Raiha, Dept. of Economics.
- Jerusalem Summer Neuroscience & Behavior: Study the history and culture of Jerusalem through the lens of social neuroscience, at one of Notre Dame’s Global Gateways. This is a great opportunity for science students looking to add study abroad to their academic experience.
- Beijing Summer Philosophy: Immerse yourself in this local experience through a 3-week course taught by Notre Dame Philosophy faculty, through Peking University. This course fullfills the University Core requirement WKSP.
- London Summer Marketing: This course, specific to marketing students, takes place in another of Notre Dame’s Global Gateways. Students have an opportunity to visit a variety of marketing organizations in London.
- London Summer Finance: This program is hosted by Notre Dame’s London Global Gateway and is perfect for students looking to fullfill finance classes abroad this summer. Finance students visit London Financial Districts and take advantage of the relationships that Notre Dame in London has to offer.
Beyond these five new programs, Notre Dame offers countless other opportunities to engage with experiences abroad during the summer. Here are some of these opportunities worth highlighting. Make sure to view the website for a full list of summer offerings.
- India Summer: A 3-week program in Mumbai, India taught by Professor Susan Osterman from the Keough School of Global Affairs. Fall in love with India and don’t miss this opportunity to visit the the fashion capital and heart of Bollywood. Mumbai is a melting pot for cultures from every corner. The 3-credit course satisfies the University Social Science Core Curriculum Requirement and the Keough School of Global Affairs Cross-Cultural Credit.
- Entrepreneurship and Empowerment in South Africa: A 4-credit, 6-week program in Cape Town, South Africa. This programs provides students with a life-changing experience by working with historically disadvantaged entrepreneurs in the community.
- Paris Summer: This program comprises two courses taught by Notre Dame professors and a number of complementary outings in the city, allowing students to immerse themselves in the arts and culture of the capital of France.
- Uganda Summer: A 3-week program that offers students a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in the cultural, religious, social, and economic realities of Uganda, led by Ugandan native Fr. Emmanuel Katongole.
- Poland Summer: A 3-week course where site visits include museums in Warsaw, Auschwitz/Birkenau, Gdansk, and other surrounding cities. Led by Dr. Emilia Justyna Powell, a native of Poland, professor at the Department of Political Science, and concurrent professor at the Law School at Notre Dame.
Summer study abroad programs are the perfect opportunity for students who might not otherwise have the chance to engage in these kinds of experiences during the academic year. Programs are also open to non-Notre Dame students. Applications for summer programs are open now through November 15. For more information and to apply, visit our summer programs page.
Originally published by international.nd.edu on September 21, 2023.at